If your home shows any of these signs, it is time to invest:
1. There are damaged or missing shingles on your roof
An old or damaged roof can lead to leaks, ice dams, and poor insulation which will make your energy bills skyrocket.
2. Your siding is damaged, rotting, or discolored
Not only is this unappealing, it is not safe and can lead to further issues. Your siding is the main shield your home has from the outside elements.
3. Your gutters are bent or constantly get clogged
Your gutters direct the water away from your home. If they are not working properly it can cause your home to rot or flood.
4. Your front door gives off drafts or does not operate well
If you are getting drafts in your home from the door, it means it is probably not working correctly. A door that does not operate like it is supposed to is not safe or energy efficient.
5. Your windows have damage, are rotting, let in drafts, or are not energy efficient
Just as your doors are a safety hazard if they are not working properly, so are your windows. If your windows have any damage or signs of rot, it is time to get them replaced. Rot is usually linked to mold and with mold comes health issues.
6. There are cracks or potholes in the driveway, patio, or sidewalk
These areas are driven on and walked on constantly so wear and tear is normal. Check these surfaces frequently and get them fixed right away if there are problems.
7. Your garage door does not work properly or is dented
If your garage door has structural or cosmetic issues, it is smart to get it fixed as soon as possible. This is a place that holds a lot of valuable items and many times has an entrance into your home. A damaged garage door is an easy entrance for an intruder.
8. Your home is not secure
If there are any areas that are left wide open or need locks, you should take care of them right away. It is also smart to have outdoor lights on all sides of your home so that burglars can not sneak in easily.
9. Your home just got hit by a storm
If you have been hit by a storm, you should assess the damage right afterward and take notes. Pictures are even better if you have the ability to take them. Once you have assessed the damage you should call your insurance agent and then your local restoration company.
10. You have pools of water forming in certain areas
If you have pools of water anywhere around your home after it rains, it means that your drainage system is not working. Identify what is nearby and see if you can set up a system to drain the water elsewhere.
11. There were ice dams on your roof this winter
If you found ice dams on your roof this winter, it probably means your roof needs to be fixed or your attic is not insulated. Ice dams can cause leaks that will ruin your home.
12. Your energy bills are extremely high
If your energy bills are high it is probably because your home isn't insulated properly. This could be due to actual insulation, windows, doors, or holes in the exterior.
13. Peeling paint or wallpaper inside the home
Peeling paint or wallpaper inside your home means that you have too much moisture. Locate the areas that it is peeling and take note if they are by a window or door that could be working poorly. Another culprit would be a leak.
14. Water leaking into your home
If you have a water leak, trace it back to the area it originated. Then fix that spot immediately. It could be a roof, pipe, appliance, or otherwise.
15. Your foundation has cracks
If your foundation has cracks, this could be a major problem and it should be addressed immediately. More signs of a bad foundation are if your doors or windows do not shut properly but did before, uneven floors, walls separating from the house, or wall rotation.
16. Your deck wiggles, has cracks, or is discolored
A deck wiggling is a major safety issue and it should be reinforced. If it is just discolored, it is time to stain or paint it.
17. Loose fascia, soffits, or shutters
These can just be reinforced unless they are in bad shape.
18. There are critters in your home or you can see places they have gotten into your home
If animals, bugs, or rodents have found a way into your home, there is probably a hole or burrowed area on the exterior. Search for it and have it fixed right away.
19. Flickering or burnt out lights
This is a simple fix but can make a big difference. Just replace the bulbs!
20. You're selling your home soon
If you are selling your home soon but there are problems with your exterior, fixing them can get you a big return on your investment. Identify the issues and then research which changes are worth the money.