24/7 Emergency Services for
Chicago's North Shore & Lake County

Do You Have a Funky Smell in Your Home?

The summer months bring hot, humid weather which is ideal breeding conditions for mold. Especially in areas that are rarely used or cleaned. Mold is bad for your health and the condition of your home. It is best to get mold removed as soon as possible so that it cannot spread into larger areas!

Some tips for keeping mold away:

Declutter

Remove things from your home such as knick knacks or extra furniture that is not needed. This makes it easier to clean all surfaces and gives mold fewer places to hide.

Use a dehumidifier

Dry out your home with a dehumidifier and keep the air conditioning running when it gets hot or humid. At the very least, use fans to circulate the air.

Dry spills or water leaks immediately

If a drink spills or you find out your sink has been leaking underneath your cupboard, dry it ASAP! The sooner you can dry the water, the less chance it will soak into hidden areas and create mold. Mold can grow in as little as 24-48 hours.

Direct water away from your home

Make sure that the water and debris run away from your home with a drainage system. Otherwise, the water could leak into your home and cause a flood.

Keep roof gutters in good shape

Gutters are the main drainage away from your home. They prevent leaks and floods. Keep them cleaned out and make sure they are not dented or broken.

Don’t leave wet clothes or towels sitting around

Damp clothes or towels seem harmless, but they are a very attractive place for mold to grow. Throw them in the dryer or hang them outside to dry as quickly as possible.

Wipe down all surfaces regularly

Wipe down shower walls, windows, counters, sinks, etc. down frequently (at least once a week) to keep the surface clean. Vinegar and water works well as a cleaning solution.

How to remove mold:

A small spot of mold can be removed with a bleach and water solution. Mix 1 part bleach to 8 parts water.

If the mold has been there for a while or has spread, it is best to call for professional help. The mold could have caused rot, spread to a hidden area, or could be dangerous for your health to remove.